This position is designed as a SES, Career-Reserved or General. USDA structures its SES positions into position levels. This is a position level two with a salary range of $175,501 – $186,500 per year. Exceptions to the salary cap may be considered in certain circumstances. SES employees are also eligible to receive bonuses and performance-based awards. Visit http://www.opm.gov/ses/ for additional information and benefits for SES employees.
Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent serves as a member of the Forest Service executive staff by participating with the Chief, Deputy Chiefs, other Regional Foresters, and Directors to formulate and execute national forest management policies.
- The incumbent represents the Chief in providing leadership and direction to the management and protection of forest resources.
- Correlates the various programs and activities of State and Private Forestry and the National Forest System to achieve balance between resource capacity and economic and social demands for resource uses and forest products.
- Considers internal and external relationships of resource management programs with concern for associated values and conflicting demands and develops reasonable solutions to problem situations in accordance with the public interest.
- Implements and supports integrated approach to wildland firefighting, including close collaboration with all components of Fire and Aviation Management, other Federal land management agencies, state and local governments and organizations.
- Directs the inspection and review activities for the purpose of maintaining surveillance over program progress and ascertaining conformity with policies and program objectives.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.