Bayer Crop Science is passionate about using Data Science and Information Technology to improve agriculture. Data Science is critical to the success of Bayer Crop Science today and in the future as we transform into an Information Services company. We are seeking a Data Scientist to join our IT Decision Science team as an intern/co-op in the area of genome analytics. The IT Decision Science team looks to find creative and innovative solutions to enable success within our R&D, supply chain and commercial organizations while identifying and capitalizing on new opportunities to maintain and grow our position as a digital agriculture market leader. The ability to examine and optimize our current methods coupled with an eye on the future lends itself to a unique opportunity within Bayer Crop Science and our team. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and passionate individual to join a multidisciplinary team of data scientists and engineers who work on real world problems .
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Data Scientist Co-Op, are to:
- Develop mathematical models including optimization, simulation, and machine learning among others to answer business questions;
- Work collaboratively with interdisciplinary scientists, organize challenging problems, develop new solutions, and work with business and development teams to ensure these solutions deliver value.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Pursuing a Master of Science or Ph.D. in Operations Research, Engineering, Management, Science, Mathematics, or another related quantitative discipline;
- Experience delivering analytics solutions to complex business problems;
- Theoretical and practical experience in deterministic optimization and algorithm development related to operations management, including experience with commercial optimization software (e.g. CPLEX or Gurobi) and/or commercial simulation software (e.g. AnyLogic);
- Expertise in programming, statistical packages, and database languages (e.g. Java, R, Python, Scala, SQL and OPL);
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing demand, supply, and network flow challenges related to planning, scheduling, space utilization, and customer service levels.
- Demonstrated problem solving experience analyzing complex data using statistical and advanced analytical methods to deliver predictive and prescriptive insights;
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills;
- Ability to work in a matrix environment and influence people at varying levels of responsibility;
- Must demonstrate business aptitude, the ability to rapidly learn new problem domains, and become conversant in the domain with business users.