Cary Dairy is a family-owned, 1,200 head dairy operation in Battle Creek, Michigan. We share a passion for our industry and are proud of our high milk production numbers which results from strong genetics, care of our cows, and solid handling practices. We are a close team who enjoy working together to get the work done.
Potential for Ownership:
We have a rare opportunity at our farm operation as we are specifically hiring for a successor to be a future owner of the operation as we would like to see our farm continue we move into retirement. We have a great herd along with longevity and deep knowledge on the team.
We’re hiring for a Dairy / Herd Manager to assist in leading all dairy operations. In this hands-on management role, you will be leading the dairy team, promoting teamwork and maximizing productivity and efficiency of the farm. You will focus on the best herd health, care and treatment of cows, and provide a comfortable environment to maximize milk production. In this role you will also be leading the equipment maintenance of the operation.
Our ideal candidate brings:
- Experience and strong understanding of a dairy operation
- Strong mechanical skills and ability to repair equipment
- Desire for ownership and a high level of commitment to focus on the details
- Alignment with our culture which includes flexibility as everyone assists in all areas, value of every individual on our team and professional communication.
We offer a competitive compensation dependent on the qualifications, health insurance, retirement plan with company match, paid vacation and sick time.
What you would be doing:
- Optimize milk production and animal health to ensure profitable dairy business
- Provide a clean, comfortable, safe and positive environment for livestock and employees
- Communicate with team to ensure proper procedures are followed (i.e. sick cow treatment, dry cow treatment, down cows, vaccination schedules)
- Communicate and work closely with vet, breeders, hoof trimmers about performance and health concerns
- Work closely with the Owner and Operations Manager to continually improve practices to maximize productivity and herd performance
- Continually look for ways to incorporate additional training and increased knowledge of the team; build an environment of continuous learning
- Manage 20+ employees overseeing safety, training, quality, scheduling, adherence to protocols and animal handling
- Maintain and repair parlor equipment as needed
- Meet or exceed goals regarding death loss, sickness and culling
- Ensure accurate tracking and data input in dairy software
- Assist in other areas of the farm
A few details about our current farming operation: 1,200 head dairy, 1,400 acres silage, remodeled parlor double 16 parallel, high milking numbers 90-110 lbs depending on the season