The Controller will be responsible for financial and accounting matters including general ledger closing, planning and budgeting, cost accounting, inventory control, financial reporting, variance analysis, crop accounting, fixed assets, grower accounting, leases, capital projects, working capital and cash flow in accordance with US GAAP and IFRS.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- The Controller is responsible to develop policies, procedures and controls to ensure the integrity of financial statements, including the planning, budgeting and reporting of operational results. The Controller will be responsible to ensure the development of scalable business processes to support a dynamic business environment.
- Experienced in the consolidation of domestic and foreign subsidiaries in USGAAP and IFRS financial reporting.
- Supervises all accounting functions for the business unit, including general ledger accounting, cost accounting, and grower accounting.
- Ensures that all policies, controls and process improvement activities are consistently applied to support operational requirements.
- The Controller should have an operations focus, tailoring financial reporting to support decision making. Financial reports should be relevant and timely.
- Drives the monthly close process of the supported departments and business units, ensuring the Company’s financial/accounting process is performed in a timely and accurate manner per the close calendar and according to US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Partners with other Finance/Accounting teams to ensure consolidated financials are complete and accurate, and accounting is consistent across entities.
- Develops, coaches and manages team of accounting personnel. Establishes goals and measures to track the success of the department.
- Reviews financial fluctuations financial statements at business functional segment level and provides variance analysis.
- Readily accepts new opportunities and takes appropriate actions to ensure the work is done; energizes team members to achieve timely results; sets expectations and empowers others to problem solve; demonstrates good judgment; facilitates successful and appropriate solutions.
- Works closely with and is accountable to the Corporate Controlling team to provide reports and schedules used for consolidating reporting and analysis. Supports external audit requirements for quarterly reviews and annual audits.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill And Experience Requirements)
- 10-15 years of progressive related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- Famous, JD Edwards, AS400 experience preferred
- Supervisory or management experience required
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- CPA/MBA preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in agricultural, distribution, and manufacturing operations is very helpful
- Strong attention to detail and a desire to assume new responsibilities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
ROLE COMPETENCIES (To be Completed by HR)
Requires depth and/or breadth of expertise of the supported departments and business units General Ledger and Financial Reporting disciplines, inside of all applicable standards – GAAP, SOX, etc.
Knowledge of best practices and how position integrates with others internally and externally
Ability to drill down to solve complex problems, and take a new perspective on existing solutions; presents recommendations to next layer of management to support decision making process; leverages colleagues when scope of problem involves crossing organizational boundaries.
Provides mentorship to own team, and acts as a resource for colleagues;
Position impacts accuracy of valuation and availability of company assets at all times.
Strong analysis, excellent planning, written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work in team environment.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Interaction takes place with all areas of the company, from subordinates to Senior Staff and Operational Directors and Vice Presidents.
External interactions take place with insurance providers, auditors, both private and public, growers, customers, and others.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Education: B.A. or B.S. in Accounting, CPA Preferred
Language Requirements: English is required; Spanish is strongly preferred given our international relationships.
- Directly supervises employees assigned to accounting and grower functions. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Maintains smoothly functioning department/work area in compliance with standards set by the company’s Human Resources Department.
- Establishes the scope of authority and responsibility for direct reports.
- Promotes teamwork among the staff to ensure work is performed in a collaborative manner and standards for excellent customer service are achieved.
- Maintains effective communication with all management staff to ensure coordination and exchange of information for accomplishing company goals. Gathers and disseminates information to all areas/departments regarding policy and procedures changes, and other important issues involving assigned areas.
- Coordinates the orientation and training of new staff.
- Conducts performance evaluations of direct reports and recommends merit increases, when applicable.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift (including overhead) and/or up to 15 lbs.
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT (Indicate all that apply and specify whether it is preferred or required.)
- Ability to travel – US and International
- Must be able to work beyond the normal work hours during period close week and final weeks of the budget cycle if required.
EEO STATEMENT: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Job Location Crum Lynne, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular