This position is responsible for managing Cargill’s global compliance program with respect to regulations and exchange rules on derivatives and commodity market trading (commodity market trading compliance). Within this area of responsibility, the position will provide global leadership and direction, has the authority to develop appropriate baseline policies and procedures applicable to Cargill’s global activities engaged with commodity markets, and to provide input and oversight with respect to individual business group’s commodity markets compliance programs. The responsibility within the commodity markets compliance program will range from enterprise thought leadership to change management to execution. This position will directly manage a central compliance team of approximately 5 individuals and have direct interaction with and influence (authority where necessary) over additional individuals and teams implementing commodity market compliance programs.
25% Building and managing a global commodity market compliance program framework that manages enterprise risks while providing appropriate flexibility and accountability in implementation within business groups. Develop onboarding, training, monitoring and guidance.
25% Provide key strategic advice about how to address commodity market compliance issues globally. Develop strong knowledge of Cargill commodity market trading activity in order to advise senior corporate and business leaders on strategic commodity market compliance issues as well as trading desks on day-to-day futures/OTC trading issues – individual and via compliance teams.
15% Manage current and future account structure for the company to engage with derivatives exchanges as well as current and future position limit and reporting requirements across the company.
15% Manage and develop CMCG team. Provide oversight and take an active role in managing team planning, training, performance management, and development.
10% Review and coordinate customer price risk management activity, with a focus on helping to develop solutions that meet customer needs while mitigating regulatory issues.
10% Accountability for compliance in trading advisory activities provided to third-party funds; and (ii) information sharing activities with independent parties, in both cases including setting relevant policies and procedures. Monitor instances of non-compliance, share relevant results as required in the company and take actions to remediate underlying causes of non-compliance. Investigation compliance issues and coordinate responses to regulatory/exchange inquiries or examinations.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- 10 years of legal, compliance or relevant operations leadership experience
- 3 years experience with derivatives and trading regulations and exchange rules (e.g. CFTC, SEC, FCA, FINMA, ESMA, CME, ICE, Dalian)
- 3 years experience leadership skills, including people and team management
- Strong indirect leadership, influencing and conflict management skills
- Exceptional communication skills, verbal and written
- Proven track record of 1) successfully advising a company at the most senior levels; 2) understanding risk and making risk-based decisions; 3) developing a compliance vision and strategy, balancing emphasis on culture, people and processes; and 4) executing upon an identified vision and strategy and driving organizational change
- Strong analytical skills including ability to quickly grasp new legislation and manage attendant ambiguity in order to develop and execute relevant compliance response
- Unquestionable integrity; demonstrated willingness to do the “right thing” regardless of potential personal consequences
- Ability to travel up 20%
- MBA, Law or other relevant advanced degree
- Derivatives and trading experience
- Experience in commodity trading organizations with non-US operations
- Experience with relevant compliance-related IT systems and tools
- Ability to work independently and take the lead to get things done, individual and through others while building strong relationships
- High credibility and a confident “quick thinker” comfortable expressing and debating views with senior leaders and other thought leaders
- Ability to inspire and energize people, including direct reports, business leaders and colleagues
- Outside networks to bring insight to compliance considerations