Commercial Director – Dairy is responsible for the U.S. Cargill Feed & Nutrition (CFN) dairy business including strategy development and deployment, financial performance (P&L), talent development, sales leadership, strategic marketing, technology, and marketing communications. This includes driving top line growth by developing and executing the go-to-market strategy and aligning the sales, strategic marketing, risk management & sourcing, and operations and supply chain organizations with this strategy. This role serves as the leader of the Dairy Leadership Team responsible for leading strategy. This role serves as a key member of the CFN U.S. Business Leadership Team.
25% Commercial strategy, business development and financial performance
- Lead and develop the U.S. CFN dairy strategy in conjunction with Strategic Marketing, and Strategy and Portfolio Management (SPM) team.
- Take strategy from where-to-play and how-to-win and develop the go-to-market strategy and plans.
- Analyze new growth opportunities in new markets and new channels, develop business case by assessing customer needs, industry trends, competitive landscape/competitive advantage and strategic alignment and establish implementation plan including building/acquiring of necessary capabilities
- Responsible for overseeing the execution of strategy, portfolio, and business plans and delivering against the financial commitment
25 % Customer focus and solutions
- Champion and leverage the CFN US dairy strategic marketing and sales teams and collaborate cross functionally to create winning customer experiences that will deliver/exceed the US business objectives – being a partner of choice
- In partnership with the US functions, lead the creation and delivery of value added offerings to customers through strategic marketing and sales teams.
- Directly or indirectly maintain and pursue relationships with strategic accounts, dairy focus consultants and collaborate closely with peers and senior leadership to support the development of deep customer relationships.
- Focused on both the current business model and future critical capabilities needed to grow including customer engagement and alignment, brand and customer experience, winning product/service/species portfolio, cross functional alignment and future customer service models (including digitalization, e-commerce, consumer engagement and customer relationship management).
25% Functional and organizational execution
- Ensure that the CFN US dairy strategy is aligned within all affected businesses and functions in CAN
- Provide commercial input and leadership to all CFN functions and peer groups (BOSC, RMS, HR, Finance, Credit, Data & BI, etc.) to ensure value delivery to our customers
- Communicate to both strategic marketing and sales teams to ensure understanding of commercial strategy, plans, and goals
25% Leadership and talent development
- Lead the cross-functional CFN US Dairy Leadership team and chair the US Dairy Leadership Council
- Bring the voice of the Dairy business to the U.S. Business Leadership Team and serve as a key member of that team
- Oversee talent management strategies to ensure that the sales, strategic marketing, technology, and dairy consultant teams are structured to meet the current and future needs of the customer
- In collaboration with HR, lead the development and succession planning for the sales and strategic marketing
- Align the sales force compensation to drive the appropriate behaviors to achieve results in a fair and equitable manner
- Ensure consistency in the pay for performance philosophy and implementation of regular compensation discussions between sales management and sales employees.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 10 years progressive sales, marketing leadership, or relevant business experience
- 5 years senior level marketing and/or sales leadership experience or equivalent
- University degree (Bachelor, MS or higher), preferably in animal nutrition industry, agricultural, biology, animal sciences, business administration or other related field.
- High levels of self awareness and interpersonal skills, proven influencing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire, supervise, coach, train and develop employees and influence them at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial elements of the business, including budgets, product margins and credit risk.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a complex and geographically dispersed sales function with proven experience in organization transformations
- Demonstrated experience developing a marketing and/or sales organization through exceptional people management skills.
- Demonstrated experience developing high-performing teams
- Business to Consumer and Business to Business Experience
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- MBA preferred
- Sales & Sales Leadership experience
- Dairy industry experience
- Risk management experience
- General knowledge of lifestyle animal industry