You’ve heard “full stack engineer” and wondered what that might mean in a global, thriving company? In this position, you will be driving a changes to culture, technology, and championing the adoption of modern software engineering practices through engagements that will challenge your skill and tap into your experiences. This includes demonstrating a path away from traditional software delivery model and towards an agile delivery model founded in a pattern based approach to service delivery, through test driven development, CI/CD pipelines, configuration management and cloud adoption. Projects range from custom software development to packaged software integrations/implementations. The scope and purpose will include global, enterprise cloud offered services for all regions. This includes active participation in the direction and implementation of cloud platform services to deliver long-term strategies for business areas.
But let’s start at the beginning …
As a Cloud Engineer you will be responsible for working across multiple facets of the Cloud@Cargill platform. This role will span design, test, and build of services for our customers.
- be involved in the build of our new cloud services that span IaaS and PaaS, and maybe some SaaS styles
- interface with multiple business units to help build our cloud and ensure consistent adoption of the tech
- be challenged and expected to act as a change agent in our culture championing DevOps principles and practices
- be a technical expert to help customers consume standard cloud services and tech that’s a right-fit and balance between business goals and cloud offerings
- work across multiple, global teams and participate as a collaborative partner
The patterns you’ll work on in to deliver will be tied back to business areas looking to use cloud capabilities to innovate, incubate, or graduate ideas into business value. This can include custom built solutions, “— as a service” components, or a mix depending on needs and alignment to cloud architecture principles. You will be responsible for participating in team and effort activities as needed, including pair programming, value stream mapping, backlog grooming (limited), sprint planning (limited), team retros and demos, and providing feedback on overall platform and program improvements. This includes working with the scrum master, product owner, the team, and the internal community of engineers. The demos will be focused on cloud technology updates to stakeholders and customers.
Training/Tools: You will be called on at times to assist our customers during their cloud adoption journey. This will be in part as a matrixed that will help identify, define and (in some cases) provide hands-on training for cloud service delivery as it pertains to software. You will also be expected to provide input for which toolset will best support our operating needs.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Leverage modern software engineering practices and principles to build safe and reliable platform services and features needed by our customers
- Focus on secure delivery based on data from customer feedback; be comfortable pressing for clarity while working in ambiguity
- Work closely with application teams looking to move to a more iterative delivery model and ensure that their full-stack is fully automated, measured, tested, and successfully packaged into production releases
- Work closely with our application teams to ensure all capabilities align with actual application delivery needs and pain points
- Coach and mentor development teams on usage and adoption of our Continuous Delivery toolsets and overall infrastructure as code and automation best-practices
- Build and coach on technical capabilities to enable faster innovation, accelerate time-to-market for all of our consumer experiences, and deliver industry leading developer experiences
- Assess and help drive adoption of new technologies and methods within the team and across Cargill
- Provide tech coaching across the platform – including test driven development, CI/CD, chatops, measurement
60% Cloud Engineering and Planning
- Supports the development of complex enterprise architectures for Private and Public Cloud computing environments by leading definition of target or solution architecture, architecture reviews, and selection efforts. Examples include defining and architecting multiple Cloud technology patterns that incorporate compute and storage infrastructure, database and application technologies and supporting network technologies including data center LAN, WAN, VPN and Carrier Neutral Facilities.
- Core member of Cargill’s Cloud Team and key contributor and subject matter expert
- Creation and maintenance of assets in the EA and Cloud specific repositories. Ensure ready access to necessary documents in a timely and high quality fashion.
- Responsible for providing data on key performance indicators and metrics to populate Cloud Service scorecards for reporting status and progress of Cargill’s Cloud maturity to all levels of IT and business management.
- Uses technical expertise and knowledge of architecture to benchmark with third party organizations to identify and incorporate best practices into Cargill’s EA discipline and overall Cloud strategy.
- Participates and assists managers in setting the long term direction, roadmaps, and standards for technical solutions, ensuring they align to the overall enterprise architecture.
- Continues to expand knowledge of industry trends, applying that knowledge by evaluating fit to Cargill and corresponding value.
- Utilizing architecture knowledge, may play a role in negotiations with strategy vendors and participate in strategic vendor relationship management process. Also ensure strategic vendor engagement to incorporate vendor’s roadmaps to Cargill’s target architecture and roadmaps.
- Proactively appraises and modifies current architecture to identify deficiencies, research alternatives, and determine improvements
20% Business Partnering / Relationship management and Consulting
- Regularly interfaces and influences directly with Global Infrastructure leaders, other architects, project managers, and BU/Function subject matter experts to understand and evaluate business requirements.
- Provides direction in the definition of the architecture and technology opportunities of the organization based on new and emerging technologies; especially in the area of Cloud computing, Cloud Hosting options, automation and virtualization solutions.
- Independently establishes priorities and strategies, ensuring they are consistent with business goals and economic viability.
- Applies solid understanding and subject matter expertise of architecture practices and procedures to articulate technology options, risks and mitigation strategies to service owners and leadership.
- Consulting – provide technology and solution architecture guidance to all relevant Cargill projects and Solution Architects.
10% Architecture Definition Methodology
- Enterprise Architecture asset management – drive creation, certification, maintenance, guidance, access and communication of reusable models to guide architecture and design of solutions
- Enterprise Architecture portfolio management – management and optimization of the IT asset portfolios
- Communication and Education of Enterprise Architecture methods and processes for all stakeholders, including training and ongoing coaching.
- Creation and maintenance of assets in the EA repository. Ensure ready access to necessary documents in a timely and high quality fashion.
10% Governance and Portfolio Management
- Manage and review architecture solutions, ensuring they are aligned to Enterprise Architecture (EA) standards, quality and principles, as well as meet EA guidelines, common solutions and services are leveraged and that they meet financial targets (cost and benefits).
- Participate in Solution Architecture Reviews as the primary mechanism of architecture quality and compliance assurance.
- Enterprise Architecture Exception Management – to Manage exceptions to Enterprise Architecture standards and policies.
- Provide Governance Support – Overall Enterprise Architecture input to all relevant program / solution decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT or Business Related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Cloud Native Development (12 factor) technologies, Infrastructure As Code, Cloud Provisioning, automation and orchestration with tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, JSON, Terraform, Jenkins, etc.
- 2 years influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
- 1 year Technical Architecture relevant experience.
- Experience leading complex projects; ability to drive for results.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and an ability to communicate technical and business information effectively to both technical and non-technical people.
- Knowledge of Infrastructure technologies and business applications, and their relationships.
- Working knowledge of Software Defined Datacenter and converged technologies
- Established skills in identifying and developing strategies to address change management issues.
- Strong skills in influencing others with the ability to facilitate cross-functional teams.
- Experience in managing third party vendors in a global, managed services environment.
- Ability to accomplish results through others (lower level managers, professional employees, matrix organization, managed service provider).
- Strong conceptual strength, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Ability to understand the long-term (“big picture”) and short-term perspectives of situations.
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Business fluency in English.
- Master’s Degree in technical or business discipline
- Application deployment, monitoring/telemetry, logging, reporting/dashboarding
- Experience in building high-performance infrastructures that are scalable and resilient
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment technologies such as: Drone, Jenkins, Artifactory, etc..
- Experience with container technologies: Docker, etc…
- Experience with test-driven development frameworks for application and infrastructure code
- Ability to use code as a means to self-document requirements of the stack
- Ability to create clear and detailed technical diagrams and documentation
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure as a service platforms: AWS, Google Compute Engine, Azure, or OpenStack
- Experience with configuration management and automation tools such as: Chef, Puppet, Salt, Ansible, and Terraform
- Experience with development using Github & VSTS
- Experience with Linux and/or Windows systems administration
- Experience with measurement & telemetry for infra, application, logging, APM, and UX
- Experience with the Agile mindset
- Personal or professional experience contributing to open source projects and driving vendor roadmaps
- Highly productive coder; self-starter and self-motivated
- Knowledge of all components of enterprise architecture.
- Industry certification (Examples include ITIL, APICS, six sigma, etc).
- Experience working on SAP environments, SAP infrastructure, multi-instance SAP landscapes, HANA, HCP and industry hosting models.
- Overall knowledge of the IT solutions market, including key vendors and offerings.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of emerging cloud computing models, their application and value proposition within a large, global organization
- Experience with EA / APM tools.