Cargill Strategic Sourcing and Procurement (CSSP) is a global organization that strives to strategically source and leverage Cargill’s indirect spend; this indirect spend spans Plant Materials and Services (MRO, Capital, Plant Services, etc); Corporate Material and Services (travel, IT, HR, etc); Chemicals, Energy; Packaging; and Ingredients. The CSSP team is responsible for managing over 9 billion in spend.
Capital Execution is a critical capability for the CSSP organization. Capital Execution teams are accountable for developing and implementing both capital and category strategies into capital projects to leverage Cargill’s position in the market and bring significant value into the organization, which helps fuel growth for the company. Our Capital Execution teams drive strong connectivity with suppliers and business stakeholders, and are expected to have deep understanding of business strategies and the requirements needed to help accomplish those strategies.
The Capital Execution Lead position is accountable for the sourcing strategy and execution of the regional capital portfolio. This capital portfolio for the assigned business, typically ranges $40mm-150mm annually. This position is accountable for executing the assigned business capital strategy within the region, procurement deliverables in PDP, and incorporating the Category strategies into the capital projects. This position is also responsible for ensuring the sustainability of the Capex strategy on a longer term basis, developing and leveraging best practices across the sourcing lifecycle, key stakeholder alignment, successful implementation and supplier relationship management as it relates to Global Capex.
The primary function of this position is to manage the timely and cost-effective procurement of capital materials and services, the development of contracting strategies, the development of the project procurement plan, and agreements to support Cargill’s project/production activities. These activities include but are not limited to supporting the strategic procurement process, execution of regional and/or local agreements to include team-based bid processes, RFX’s, negotiations, supplier selection/development and contract management.
This position will also coordinate activities with Strategic Sourcing, Procurement, Logistics, Plant Management, Operations and Maintenance, Accounting, and Law personnel to meet supply and demand goals.
As part of the core accountabilities of the role of the Capital Execution Lead, there is a need to work across resources at a regional and global level. The need at the region level is to implement the strategies that are defined on a global basis. A key and critical component of this role is aligning with Global and Regional Strategies, collaborate with peer groups and develop process consistency across the globe.
This position can be located in Blair NE, Wichita KS, or Minneapolis MN.
30% – Capital Strategies and Business Capital Portfolio Management
- Influence Business and Engineering leaders to drive optimum levels of CSSP collaboration on Capital projects
- Align with Business leaders to implement and improve capex sourcing processes, category and contracting strategies to drive maximum value and successful project delivery.
- Ensure visibility and early engagement on Business capital project plans and manage the portfolio and value goals.
- Lead the promotion and application of existing sourcing strategies on appropriate Capital project
- Provide insight and assist in the improvement and implementation of category strategies.
- Responsible for development and execution of Procurement Deliverables in Build Capital Project
- Accountable for developing and achieving goal metrics for assigned Businesses
- Leading at an early stage,project planning sessions to thoroughly understand BU / Project requirements, technical background information.
- Defining sourcing resource plan for key projects, allocating packages and projects to Capital Buyers, providing support and oversight and ensuring key deliverables and milestones are met.
- Benchmarks with peer companies and stay’s connected to industry groups to ensure leading practices are incorporated into strategies and processes.
50% Project Management & Execution
- Leads and manages the strategy and execution of Build Capital Projects >$25MM, in accordance with the Procurement Deliverables defined in the Build Template. Partnering with regional and global SMEs for execute technical gate reviews, including facilitating contracting strategy workshops, business and process alignment, and ensuring value delivery.
- Accountable for the strategy and execution of Capital Projects
- Facilitating the contracting strategy selection with the project team and business
- Create and maintain major equipment & services list, in conjunction with Engineering Lead (EL) & BPM
- Ensuring utilization of Select Suppliers, Best Cost Country suppliers, specifications and toolkits that have been defined by the category.
- Identifying long lead-time items (12 weeks)
- Support Engineering and Reliability to establish a spare parts strategy (capitalized vs. expensed, etc)
- Defining logstics strategy, critical supply markets and identify any current conditions that may impact the project.
- Support Engineering to identify and execute TCO analysis for Goods and / or Services and determine cost drivers for input into TCO Models.
- Assist in establishment of procurement & requisitioning roles and accountabilities (project Accountant, requisitioners, buyers, onsite material management, etc.) in close alignment with the Build Project Manager (BPM).
- Ensuring capital bid process is followed.
- Review bid packages with Engineering Lead prior to awarding the contract and issuing the purchase order to confirm the proposal meets the required codes and specifications, includes a completed Inspection Test Plan (ITP) where necessary,, acknowledgement of the owner approval requirements, and the vendor’s schedule. Include negotiated lead times and any penalties in contracts
- Gather project-specific data, provide requirements & specifications as needed
20% – Lead and Support Key Sourcing and Procurment Inniatives
- Lead and Support various function inniatives to support process, systems and continuous improvement (Process Kaizens, Contract Improvements, Database Development, ERP/Ariba Network Improvements, eAuctions, Category Strategies, etc..)
- Lead developing of Capex and Category Buyer Talent. Delivering training, coaching and mentoring to CSSP employees and stakeholders.
- Champion and drive continuous improvement for the capital execution process including the organization and assignment of bid packages
- Bachelors Degree preferably in Engineering, Supply Chain, Economics or Business Administration
- Minimum of 6 years of Plant Operations/Maintenance/Strategic Sourcing/Procurement OR Engineering experience; preferably purchasing Capital or MRO
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of the time
- Good knowledge of process equipment &/or industrial construction, safety and food safety processes
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills.
- High motivation and drive to deliver results
- Demonstrated ability to establish common processes
- Knowledge of the business environment Cargill is operating in and requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to:
- Engage, communicate & influence project stakeholder
- Establish trust & credibility with other functional and senior stakeholders
- Strong project management experience and skills
- Strong change management results
- Demonstrated ability to work with suppliers and drive mutually beneficial solutions
- IT skills (basic MS packages)
- Understanding of main legal concepts included in purchase contracts for capital goods & services
- CPSM or equivalent purchasing qualification (or currently working towards qualification)
- 6 years in Capital Sourcing or Capital Project Management
- Experience with PDP or FEL
- IT skills (intermediate to advanced skill level in MS Excel)
- Experience of using TCO analysis based sourcing decisions
- Competitive bidding experience and contracting knowledge
- Develop and demonstrate project management skills
- Change management and influencing skills
- Develop an great understanding of the Cargill Businesses, technology and project delivery process
- Ability to impact Cargill’s bottom line