This position is located in Pacific Southwest Region (Region 5) Engineering Staff, duty station Vallejo, CA or any Forest Service Office in the Pacific Southwest Region, CA.
The purpose of the position is to provide professional architectural design, planning, and technical services for the Region.
- Provide expertise and recommendations to other engineers and architects on complex, unusual architectural designs, issues, and situations.
- Interpret advanced concepts and diverse information in related building and design professions such as landscape architecture or related engineering disciplines.
- Evaluate and approve the work of Architect/Engineer firms to verify design excellence and compliance with all regulations and design criteria.
- Provide technical support to field offices in need of architectural advice, review, and evaluations.
- Identify the optimal procedure for renovation, design, and construction, including in-house design and use of an Architect/Engineer firm.
- Incorporate latest developments in the design and construction of buildings into agency policy requirements and program objectives.
- Serve as the Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) and Subject Matter Expert (SME) to the Contracting Officer during studies, project design, or construction.
- Negotiate and/or recommend approval of Architect/Engineer and construction contracts and task orders with the Contracting Officer.
- Perform detailed analyses of all elements of cost in contractor proposals in order to recommend competitive range determinations to the Contracting Officer and Source Selection Authority.
- Perform technical reviews of contractor prepared designs and specifications for assigned projects.
- Use cost estimating knowledge to develop budget information and to verify that costs submitted by contractors are fair and reasonable.
- Chair or participate in Architect/Engineer evaluation and selection process.
- Research the latest development in architecture and related disciplines by reviewing technical publications, attendance at technical conferences or professional society meetings, and discussions with industry representatives
- Provide advice to first responders and facility managers during natural disasters, critical failures, and building emergencies delivering timely, cost effective, customer sensitive, technical options to restore operations and building occupancy.
- Perform forensic evaluations of design issues in order to develop a solution or design to correct the problem.
- Understand Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools and Building Information Modeling (BIM) programs, and software applications to review or generate design documents
- Prepare all pertinent correspondence, plans, reports, and contract criteria necessary for project completion involving complex architectural or engineering needs or issues.
- Develop and approve project schedules for assigned projects.
- Review a wide range of contractor submittals, determines compliance or noncompliance for such submittals, and accepts or rejects them on behalf of the agency.
- Prepare or review conceptual designs, design intent drawings, or construction documents for assigned projects
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.