This position is with the Grain Quality and Strcuture Research Unit in Manhattan, KS and will serve as the Research Leader for this Unit.
Research scientists have open-ended promotion potential based on Research accomplishments and their impact. The grade level is limited only by the individual’s demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology. *Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.
Learn more about this agency
- Lead and manage a multidisciplinary Research Unit comprised of PhD scientists, including personnel, equipment and fiscal resources following agency’s mission and scientific procedures, requirements and protocols.
- Lead and accomplish work through others (i.e. team building, conflict management, cultural awareness, strategic thinking, technology management, and to communicate with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds in a variety of situations
- Supervise employees, to include setting performance standards, monitoring performance and guiding subordinates. Demonstrates a knowledge of cultural awareness in communication with employees.
- Perform and lead research in grain composition, quality, and factors that impact quality of sorghum and wheat germplasm.
- Collaborate and communicate technical information pertaining to grain composition and quality with government officials, scientific and academic communities, national or international scientific organization, and diverse groups.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize technical information to develop new knowledge of grain components that are linked to end-use quality and value in sorghum and wheat as well as generate new methods for analyzing and characterizing grain composition.
- Prepare written work products based on research to be reviewed and/or published in professional articles, publications, and technical abstracts.
- Manage budgeting and financial planning for departments and/or units as well as for large research projects led by independent PhD scientists or teams of scientists/technicians.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.