Animal Technician is primarily responsible for execution of approved protocols for animal nutrition studies in a safe, accurate and timely fashion. Position will conduct research trials with collecting data that includes animal weighing, feeding, and various types of collections. Position also will be responsible to provide standard animal husbandry and housekeeping duties as well as a role in equipment maintenance/ repair.
This position will be required to work one weekend every four weeks, include rotating holidays, in various animal units.
60% Project and Data Management
• Enter/transfer data into computerized program (i.e., animal/feed weights, and ultrasound)
• Basic computer maintenance/troubling shooting.
• Quality assurance: Meet Standard Operational Procedures (SOP) & protocol compliance, accurate data collection and observation documentation.
• Ensuring daily operations in meeting the protocol requirements.
• Data collection requiring observations, feed weigh in/out/waste, body weights, stool scoring observations.
• Special tasks required include stress studies, blood/tissue collection, collection, etc.
30% Animal Husbandry & Facility Management
• Injections & Treatments
• Animal observations/disease recognition/documentation
• Meet animal welfare standards
• Over-see Ventilation & Animal Environmental Controls to provide a healthy environment.
• Shipping pigs, proper manure handling, culling, euthanizing, and carcass disposal.
• Distribution of feed within the unit.
• Complete assigned audits
• Equipment operation of Scales, forklift, feed carts, pallet jack
• Power Washing and Housekeeping within the SIU
• Basic building & equipment maintenance/troubling shooting
• Conducts assigned preventative maintenance on equipment.
10 % Safety
• Attend safety meeting, risk assessments sessions and participate in our safety program to help the Innovation Campus continue its goal of 0 accidents.
• Must be present during set scheduled work hours, perform necessary overtime.
• Must be able to work independently and with other team members, with minimal guidance and supervision
• Must be able to receive and execute direction from leadership in written and oral form.
• Must be able to perform math functions.
• Must be able to communicate clearly in written and oral form
• Must be able to maintain a safe, clean working environment
• Must have demonstrated willingness to learn from others
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and meet repetitive scheduled deadlines
• Must pass specified physical to meet physical labor requirements
• Must have demonstrated ability to collaboratively participate on a team
• Must have 1 or more years of experience safely moving/ working closely with swine and other larger animals with basic understanding of nutrition/husbandry
• Must be able to use a computer with emphasis on spreadsheet and data entry
• High School Diploma completed or GED
If selected for an interview you will be required to submit your past two performance reviews.
This position is posted internally as well as externally.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.