We are a team-oriented company with a high trust, entrepreneurial culture. We value our employees’ opinions, we have a strong work ethic, and are focused on growing great vegetables and developing our operations profitably. People who are most successful at CSS Farms are energetic, self-directed, and pragmatic.
The Agronomy Intern works closely with the site Agronomist, Irrigation, Field, and Equipment Managers to support and learn hands-on about successful farm operations.
As the Agronomy Intern, you will gain exposure to all facets of the seed potato business and will have the potential for career advancement to different positions, such as Agronomist, Director of Agronomy, and Farm Manager, at various locations.
In this role, you will:
- Support the site Agronomist with pest scouting, crop management and irrigation scheduling.
- Help coordinate pesticide and fertilizer applications.
- Participate in tissue sampling, R&D test plots, and evaluation of on-farm research.
- Assist Irrigation Manager with irrigation system maintenance and soil moisture management.
- Support Field and Equipment Managers with harvest preparation and operational execution.
- Give and receive real-time performance feedback to further your growth and leadership development.
- Deliver and present to management a relevant project on primary R&D areas, based on your and company interests.
- Take on other tasks and responsibilities, as needed.
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Driving between farm sites to move samples and other supplies.
- Regularly lifting objects (such as potato samples) of up to 40-50 lbs.
Expected Hours of Work
- Typical, daily farm hours are 7 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Harvest and planting seasons are busy and may require longer hours and some weekends.
Experience and Skills:
- Are pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science or Master’s of Science degree in agronomy, crop science or related field.
- A valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain one and pass vehicle insurance verification.
- Are generally tech savvy and can use basic software systems.
- Possess excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Are an excellent communicator; asking for and valuing positive and constructive feedback in an effort to grow within your role and career.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Receive a competitive stipend.
- Get reimbursement for eligible travel expenses.
- Participate in real-world applications of Agronomy from a leading, US potato company.
- Receive coaching and mentoring from leaders who want you to succeed and join our company, as well as the opportunity for advancement.
- Make valuable contacts within the industry who can assist you with your career development, now and in the future.
- Gain an understanding of the entire business, including agronomy, operations, employee management, and logistics by spending time with Farm, Equipment, and Irrigation Managers.
CSS Farms is an EOE