Welcome to Progressive Agricultural Management in Wray, Colorado. We are passionately focused on growing high quality and high value specially crops in northeastern Colorado and southwestern Nebraska. These crops include kidney beans, popcorn, organic forages and grain, and conventional grains in rotation all under center pivot irrigation. We’ve grown our organization significantly the past several years and are continuing our growth in acres. We pride ourselves in establishing and maintaining strong partnerships with customers, custom farmers, and suppliers. We have a leadership style that is always focused on continuous improvement and building a team of problem-solvers.
We’re hiring a key individual in our organization to be part of the senior management team in our relatively flat organization. As the Head of Agronomy & Farm Operations you would be developing the crop plan, nutrient program, spray applications, irrigation timing and oversee in-field operations. Our ideal candidate has a strong agronomy knowledge and understands the fine balance of implementing best practices while understanding the cost/benefit impact of decisions. In this role you will be focusing a large majority of your time developing and executing a plan for growing high quality and high yield crops (65-70% of time) while leading, coaching and coordinating the team which consists of 8 full-time operators plus seasonal employees. You would be working closely with the owners and controller being part of leadership team defining strategy, resource planning, and short/long term goals.
We offer competitive compensation and bonus program that is highly dependent on background plus 401K with company match up to 5%, company pickup, and paid time off.
Your focus areas
- Develop and manage nutrient program pre-plant and in-season
- Manage irrigation timing and fertigation programs
- Analyze soil and tissue sample results to determine appropriate action for improvement
- Develop proactive programs using new and present methods to determine optimal levels of pest control and soil nutrient and biological health including conducting in field trials
- Collaborate with the owners to create the annual crop plan and budget
- Review optimal farming methods focused on quality while understanding feasibility and cost/benefit impact of suggested changes
- Determine spray recommendations for disease/insect/weed control on a weekly basis working closely with contract agronomists and applicators in consideration of IPM practices
- Manage agronomy operations including scheduling, coordinating, managing quality
- Monitor yield progress and work with operations on harvest timing
- Lead human resource and equipment planning for planting through harvest optimizing equipment utilization
- Streamline communication process among the team for effectiveness
- Continue to enhance and execute standard operating procedures for operators in field
- Coach, train and develop employees
- Oversee precision ag and technology efforts
Qualified Applicants would bring:
- Bachelor’s in agronomy, crop and soil sciences, agriculture, agribusiness, plant pathology and/or related field
- Minimum 8+ years of agronomy experience and management experience
- Center pivot experience with a plus of having irrigated more sensitive specialty crops
- Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) nice-to-have, not required