The incumbent serves in a key fire management position in a field fire management organization as a Wildland Fire Operations Specialist (ADFMO). The primary purpose of this position is to provide operational oversight and planning of wildland fire suppression activities, and specialized expertise in assigned zone/area.
Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on the Forest Service website
Learn more about this agency
- Provides oversight during initial and extended attack fires, directs fireline activities and tactics of dispersed firefighters, resources, equipment, and aircraft.
- Utilizes wildland fire behavior knowledge and firefighting experience and assigns missions to ground and aviation wildland fire suppression resources.
- Performs and supervises employees in fire prevention, preparedness, detection, resource rehabilitation, mobilization, prescribed fire, aviation operations, and training programs.
- Ensures preparedness of wildland fire suppression equipment and personnel.
- Coordinates with dispatch office regarding current fire behavior and fire conditions, release of resources, and other logistical considerations.
- Assists in developing and revising interagency annual operating plans, annual budget requests, the fire management plan and operating procedures pertaining to wildland fire suppression and prescribed fire.
- Performs wildfire suppression support as directed within training and physical and other duties as assigned.
- Duties listed are at the full performance level.
Occasional travel – Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignments.