CHS Inc. is a leading global agribusiness owned by farmers, ranchers and cooperatives across the United States that provides grain, food and energy resources to businesses and consumers around the world. We serve agriculture customers and consumers across the United States and around the world. Most of our 11,000 employees are in the United States, but today we have employees in 19 countries. At CHS, we are creating connections to empower agriculture.
CHS has an exciting opportunity in our Energy Finance Division. We are looking for an Accountant to support Transportation and Lubricants. This position will play an active role in the month-end close and financial reporting process. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical accounting skills with a strong desire to learn. The ability to prioritize, efficiently plan work activities, and be detail and results-oriented is critical to the position.
- Maintain general ledger accounts and related activities for the production of financial statements and reports
- Reconcile, analyze, and review general ledger accounts in preparation for month-end close process
- Prepare journal entries with review for accuracy and evaluate accounting classifications in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensure monthly accruals, allocations and other complex journal entries are accurate as new information is obtained
- Coordinate requested documentation in support of external and internal audits
- Prepare and analyze financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, consolidated statements and various other accounting statements and reports
- Assist with or lead the month-end and quarter-end close process for assigned business unit or group, understanding, and utilizing the appropriate information systems and technology
- Assist in evaluating, recommending, maintaining, and monitoring appropriate internal controls and related documentation
- Setup fixed assets and track capital spend for Transportation and AFD.
Minimum Qualifications (required)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following: Accounting, Finance, Audit, Finance, Tax, or Treasury
- Knowledge and direct application of GAAP to include reviewing and preparing general ledger accounts, reviewing complex journal entries for accuracy, and preparing financial statements,
- Knowledge of and direct work experience with accounting policies, programs, procedures and practices, financial reporting requirements, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Direct experience operating in a strong internal controls environment with demonstrated knowledge of the principles, methods, and techniques for establishing and monitoring effective internal controls activities to ensure the integrity of financial reporting.
- Proficient in financial software including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Access
- Previous work experience using enterprise resource planning systems (ERP)
- 3+ years of work experience in one or more of the following: Accounting, Audit, Finance, Tax, Treasury, Payroll, Credit & Collections, or Procurement
- Experience with SAP general ledger or related reporting software
- Proficient with Microsoft Power BI or similar advanced reporting tools
- Past direct work experience identifying and addressing weaknesses in internal controls
- Ability to:
- Complete assignments with minimal oversight
- Handle intermediate accounting activities
- Work effectively in multiple information systems and ERP systems
- CPA, CMA, or similar professional certification
- Experience with Agriculture and/or Energy industries
CHS offers a competitive total compensation package. Benefits include: Health, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Life Insurance, Health and Day Care Savings Accounts, Paid Vacation , 401K, Company Funded Pension, Profit Sharing, Long and Short Term Disability, Tuition reimbursement, and Adoption assistance.
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Effective January 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires employers to conduct a pre-employment verification full query against the newly established License Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse prior to beginning employment in a position that requires a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Candidates seeking employment in a position that requires a commercial motor vehicle license must voluntarily enter their information into the FMCSA and must provide disclosure authorization, at the time of offer, to CHS or an authorized third-party agent of CHS to verify the information.